Before leaving to head over to Fort Cochin for the day, we noticed extra security at the hotel and a packed lobby. We got there just in time to find out that the Dalai Lama was staying here! He's the one in the red and glasses. Jason got this picture and because of the 1 second delay on it, this is the best one. At one point, he looked right at the camera. It was still neat to see him. In case you want to know about him, click this link: Dalai Lama. Thanks to that website, we found out that he was here to deliver the inaugural address at the 33rd World Congress of the International Association for Religious Freedom. Unfortunately, this was the only time we saw him. I really wanted to inquire about meeting him...but I'm sure I would have gotten a firm "NO".
This area is also known for their spice trading. There are many small shops that have bins of spices just sitting out and you can get a whiff of the scents just by walking by. We saw some neat, older and colorful buildings too. I'm sure that bike is still in use today. In the US, it would be trashed, but here they seem to fix things enough to use for years.
| St. Francis Church |
St. Francis church is believed to be India's oldest European built church. It was constructed by the Portuguese in 1503. Masses in English are held here every Sunday.
| Inside St. Francis Church |
| Just a road... and a guy pushing a cart |
| A Dutch Cemetery |
The Dutch Cemetery dates back to 1704 and contains the graves of Dutch traders and soldiers. The gates were locked, otherwise my curious self would have taken a look around. I know, that sounds morbid. It's always interesting to see cemeteries in other countries.
| Jason with his "father-in-law" |
Along the beach area, there were plenty of these "use me" trash cans. For the most part, people used them because it was generally clean...except for the time this guy just tossed his ice cream wrapper on the ground, RIGHT in front of one. Amazing... you'd think they would want to keep the area clean for tourists.
***DISCLAIMER*** Jason logged in and changed this last paragraph. He thought I wouldn't notice... I can't believe he not only called my dad a monkey, but also compared him to a trash can!? How Rude! (I totally just said that in my Michelle Tanner voice) But anyway... my dad is taller than that by a couple inches anyway.
No comments:
Post a Comment