Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Raksha



I wanted to start this blog with a pretty rainbow picture.  So there ya go!  It's still raining quite a bit here, but mainly just in the evenings so it doesn't damper our plans or lack there of.  After an evening shower, this rainbow appeared which just amazed me.  As much as it has rained here, this is the first rainbow I've seen...and I took it from our (very small) balcony. 

In other news: I am doing something besides sewing christmas stockings, reading and surfin the web. Volunteering!  We found an imported goods store in the area and I've made the trip a few times to stock up on American items.  ( I promise, I'm getting to the bigger picture here, but I have to fill you in with all details first )  The owners are very nice and the second time we went he told us about how part of their proceeds go to help a school for mentally and physically disabled children in Fort Kochi called Raksha. <--please click that link to learn more about the school!  He really wanted us to go see the school and told us about how they met a yoga instructor from the US that donated the money for purchasing the building for $7000 US dollars.  They think the world of this guy and the building is named after him.  I've also heard the story at least 3 times now.  I told him I had been looking for a place to volunteer at and I'd love to go see the school.  His wife came and picked me up a few weeks ago and I got a tour and met a lot of the kids and teachers. 

Many of the children have cerebral palsy or downs syndrome.  They help infants all the way through young adults.  They teach the older ones vocations and many go on to hold jobs after leaving the school.  They provide therapy and education for the children and even work with the parents on how to help them at home.
Right now, Kat and I are going two days a week.  It's not that I don't want to go everyday, but we wanted the kids to get to know us first.  Some of the younger ones are skiddish around strangers.  In the mornings, we've been helping with the preschool early intervention class.  Class size is anywhere from 4-8 depending on who shows up, 1 teacher and at least 2 assistants - not including us.  Some are just learning to sit in a chair with a desk and cannot speak.  Since we don't know the language, we are limited to what we can help with.  We do help them grab items, feel things and push buttons on toys. 

In the afternoon we have been helping the older girls make bags out of newspaper.  This is a huge fundraiser for them so there's always plenty to make!  The school is trying to bring more awareness to the needs of these children.  Within the last year, they just had a law to make it mandatory for eye doctors to prescribe glasses to many of these kids.  Up until then, the doctors just said their eye problems were a result of mental retardation and couldn't be treated.  According to the teacher, you can already see improvement as a result of the glasses.  Of course I got on the topic of their eyes! 

Getting our picture drawn - of course, we had an audience.

Once I am there for awhile, I will bring in my camera.  I have seen teachers taking pictures so I'm sure they won't mind.  This past weekend was a fundraiser for the special needs schools in the area.  They had items for sale that the kids helped make along with other things. 






I bought some cards, a painting from one of the kids at Raksha and we had a character picture drawn of Jason and I.  This boy doesn't go to Raksha, but he drew us a nice picture of ourselves.  Actually, in the picture, I look like I'm balding, have a long face and only 3 fingers.  It's still cute though - and what a neat story we have about it! 

I will be sure to update again on Friday as tomorrow is Thanksgiving!  I've been consulting the chef for a possible traditional Thanksgiving meal but I'm not quite sure how it's going to turn out.  They've already ruled out Turkey since they won't get that until Christmas.  Bummer.   We'll see what we get! 

No comments: