Sunday, May 16, 2010

Olympic Stadium, eh?


Later in the day yesterday, Shannon and I wanted to go see Olympic Park.  Home to the stadium used in the 1976 summer Olympics, the park is actually outside the city a bit on the way to the refinery.  I actually just rode with Shannon since she was going in to work the evening shift.  The tower you see above the dome and the top of the dome weren't actually completed due to labor strikes until 1987, 11 years after the Olympics were held.  It's hard to see them in this picture, but there are numerous wires coming from the tower and attaching to the retractable roof of the dome.  Unfortunately, it now sits empty and is no longer in use.  I think that happens to a lot of Olympic venues now.  People get all excited about the games, build a big stadium, increase taxes to help pay for it....then they sit empty for years.  It's just unfortunate.  Below is a picture of us at a neat location.  I wont ruin the surprise... you can read the caption on the picture to figure out where we are.  Thanks Picasa!    : ) 


Across from the Olympic Stadium is the Botanical Garden.  Not too many flowers were blooming except for at the entrance.  It had already rained in the day..which made for neat pictures of flowers with raindrops, duh.

As we walk around here, I wonder if we look like foreigners.  Okay, if I take my purse/bag off and put the camera away, we could pass for Canadians,eh.  It seems that Canada is very diverse; at least in Montreal.  We've been able to find just about any type of food we want, although most of it is expensive.  And yes, there is a Subway and McDonalds by the hotel.  This Subway still has $5 footlongs.  Subways in the US...take note, bring those back.

I have a few things on the agenda today because it will be our last day to get out and see Montreal.  Looks like we'll still leave tomorrow evening.  I type that now...and it could change.  I like it here so it doesn't really matter to me.  Australia has already been delayed (go figure) so we're headed back to Chicago instead.

No comments: