Sunday, May 16, 2010

Saint Joseph's Oratory, eh?


Today, I ventured out to a place a friend of my sister and brother-in-law recommended. -Thanks Sara, Jon and Dan!-  I have no idea how I completely missed this in the guide books (or maybe Jason mentioned it and I wasn't listening?).  A little background so you know the importance of St. Joseph's Oratory.  In 1904, Brother Andre started construction of a small chapel on the side of a mountain by the Notre Dame College.  Once it became to small to hold visitors, a larger chapel, called the Crypt, was built in 1917 and has the seating capacity of 1,000.  Construction on the basilica was completed in 1967 and the Oratory's dome is the third largest in the world and can be seen throughout the city.  The basilica is dedicated to Saint Joseph whom Brother Andre credited all his miracles. People came to see Brother Andre for healing (the handicapped, blind or ill) and thousands of crutches of those who were healed still occupy the Votive Chapel today.  Brother Andre is set to be canonized in November of this year. In the picture you can see crutches on the right....



A reliquary in the church contains Brother Andres' heart which is supposed to be for protection and his body lies in back of the Votive Chapel.  It was a very neat experience visiting the Oratory.  Approximately two million people visit every year.  I lit a candle (like we do in every church we go through) for my family and friends in the Votive Chapel.

It was slightly overcast most of the day but of course once I get there, it's mostly overcast.  Pictures turned out neat though and as soon as I started walking through the Stations of the Cross Garden and on my way out, it started raining.  Go figure.  Good thing I remembered my pretty umbrella Sara brought me back from Harrods in London!  : )

No comments: