Let me start off by saying that yesterday was a very interesting day. While you are reading this, remember that I don't so much, so when I say my day was interesting, it was for me; It may not be interesting for you. Let's start from the beginning. Plan was to arrive at Raksha a few minutes early to help prepare for a field trip they were taking to a fish farm along the backwaters. I'm not quite sure what all it entailed. Either they didn't know or it was lost in translation. I took an earlier ferry over to Fort Kochi and was going to get a tuk-tuk to take me to the school. Well there were no tuk-tuks. I found that odd because they are usually waiting for us saying "auto! where are you going? mam, tour??" (or a combination of all) There was an auto strike today over at Fort Kochi. High gas prices was the reason. [note to self...don't mention husband is working at oil refinery]
One guy was asking me if I needed an auto..."sure"... I told him where I was going, then he said, "oh, auto strike". How nice of him to ask if I needed a ride when he knew he wasn't going to take me. Anyway, he was nice enough to tell me where to get a bus and what stop I needed to get off at in order to take me to the school. I walked in the bus direction for about 10 minutes and never saw a bus so I turned around and just decided to walk it. Oh, did I mention I was wearing new sandals yesterday? I already knew I was going to be late so I call the one number I had for the school on the business card. It was the number to the top person - her husband started it 25 years ago. I called, said I was going to be late due to auto strike and to not wait for me because I had to walk. After a few more people calling me (apparently they were trying to get a hold of me) I was told the trip was canceled due to the strike and not to hurry. Whoo... Good thing I just walked really fast for the last 20 minutes.
I continued on my way until I reached another ferry stop and noticed buses. BINGO! I can finally stop walking. It was very hot (sorry for all those getting snow/ice back home). Right by the buses was a nice guy in an auto rickshaw that insisted he wasn't on strike. Probably because I was American and he knew he could get double from me. I didn't care at this point! So he finally took me to the school.... and this is what we did...... (I made sure NOT to mention that Jason was working for an oil company [the drivers like to make conversation and ask] - I didn't think that would help me get a ride)
| Akila and Tanvil |
| Tanvil playing with playdoh |
As no one showed up for the afternoon class - trip was canceled so that must have meant class was too? - I left when one of the interns left so she could show me where to get the bus. At this point, I already had blisters thanks to my wise decision of wearing new sandals. I finally get the bus and told the ticket guy where I needed to stop at. It was my first time on an Indian bus and thankfully it wasn't full because some of them are packed to the max. I'm sure those smell wonderful. He tells me when my stop approaches, but after walking around for a bit there, it's not really where I wanted. Another 30 minute walk down the road and I get to the ferry stop.
All in all, it was just a crazy day. Lesson learned -only give a child one playdoh color at a time and don't wear new shoes. But how was I supposed to know about this petrol strike?
No comments:
Post a Comment