Thursday, March 18, 2010

Hola From Mexico !

We have made it Tehuantepec, Mexico!  I'm already aggravated at this blog because I had it all typed out..and somehow deleted it so now I have to start over.  It's delaying my arrival at the pool. 

We are finally here after an ordeal to even get here!  Leaving Chicago at 6am on Tuesday sounds really early, but we wanted to get to Huatulco early enough to enjoy the resort and beach we were staying at for one night.  But...that wasn't so much the case.  A 2.5 hr flight to Dallas, 2.5 hr flight to Mexico City and another 1 hr flight to Huatulco.  Once we got there, we went to the rental car desk and they said the road out of the airport was blocked and they weren't sure when it would be open again.  Therefore, they only had a few cars since no one could get to the airport to return them.  A Dodge Durango, V-8, Hemi engine was waiting for us.  It's a beast.  Good thing we're not paying for the gas.  

Our options were to stay at the airport or drive to the beach.  Off we go... at least we can get out and walk around on a beach.  We drive and don't really see any roads leading to one, so after about hour we figure the road going the way we needed to, HAD to be open by now!  .......WRONG......  Sitting in traffic on a two-lane road, engine off, windows open for 3 hours was not that fun.  I know, our parents are probably not too happy we did that.  We never felt threatened and no one ever came up to the car.  Don't worry, there were a few other English-speaking, white people around.  They told us there was a teacher strike.  Oh..and we had a creapy, crawly reddish color, roach looking bug crawling around the car.  EW.  I'm not sure if I smacked it hard enough to kill it, so it might still be under the floormat....or plotting it's revenge against me. 

 


After we finally got through that, we had about a 30 min drive to our hotel.  The hotel was nice - pictures posted - although we didn't get there until about 8pm.  So much for leaving at 6am to enjoy the beach. This morning, we walked around for a bit to see the resort in daylight.  On our way out, we might stop there for an extra day or two to hangout on the beach.














Today we had a 3 hour drive to Tehuantepec.  The hotel is pretty nice here for Mexico.  I really don't see anything wrong with it.  There's a good size pool with a swim-up bar.  Some tables and lounge chairs.  I'll be just fine for a week : )    I'll take some pictures so I can update tomorrow.  The pictures above are just from the resort the one night we stayed there.  Now....  off to lay by the pool.  

No comments: