Friday, June 25, 2010

Oh, So Gloomy



We are planning on being here about 2 months so please don't expect an update everyday.  All of our exciting adventures will be spread out....not all in a week and half like Canada or Australia.  Sorry to disappoint you.  I don't think you want to hear about me walking to the mall or sitting on the balcony or what book I finished everyday...so you will get random updates. 

This is a picture I took yesterday because it was soooooo  rainy and nasty out.  It misted pretty much all day but there was a break and I walked to drop off laundry with a "road husband" that is here as well.  We also went to the mall so I could show him where a grocery and cell phone place were.  On the way back, it started to lightly rain again.  We were soaked by the time we got to the hotel (about a 40 min walk).  I figured I'd take a taxi to get the laundry thinking it may be a buck or two because it was still raining.  Nope...  $16 round trip.  This is like a 20 min walk too!  Now that was through the hotel and I could have gotten one cheaper but there weren't many available since it was raining....so off I go with my umbrella (ella...ella.... - haha, the song).  Anyway...that didn't do much good as the wind was terrible.  The rain was just to a mist now so it wasn't bad, but once again, I was still soaked when I got back.  At least Jason had clean socks to wear to work today!  At dinner last night it was pouring and the guys from the refinery were saying that it was unusual.  Some of the streets were even flooded.

Today on the other hand, was much nicer out.  Again, I walked to the mall and bought a few items we needed and got lunch.  I found a Subway!  Yay!  Things here are pretty nice even though it's a developing country.  A few of the sidewalks are torn up and some of the buildings aren't the nicest, but the stores are new.  I can walk around the broken sidewalks on my way to the mall, no big deal. 

I'm excited for the rest of the crew to get here.  It should be fun with about 8 people to hang out with!  We had dinner with some of the guys from the refinery last night and they agreed to take us to salsa lessons and to the casino one night.  Maybe by the end of this assignment I will know a little Spanish and learn how to salsa dance.... or at least be attempting it.  Adios!

2 comments:

Meg Lew said...

Hey! Who is the road husband??

Angela said...

Realmente no veo que aprender a hablar español. Pero me gusta que su intento. Es Ben el camino "-marido" que se refiere?
Oh and google translator is the BOMB!