TO DUBAI! I still can't believe we got to go. All week I have felt like a kid getting ready to go to Walt Disney World. We never thought we'd get to see the middle east, but Jason was lucky enough to have a three day weekend thanks to a new shift schedule since they pulled part of the crew. Awesome! There is a direct flight here but it leaves at a wonderful 3am. We were exhausted and didn't sleep much on the way but still managed to resist the temptation to take a nap and went out to explore. I'll just write about each photo so you can see what we did.
 |
| The view from our hotel lounge - notice how hazy it is. I guess because it was so hot. |
We stayed at the Sheraton on Jumeriah Beach. Nice hotel, but we should have splurged and stayed at the other end of the strip. We found ourselves constantly walking up and down the strip to go to certain restaurants. It's not that fun when it's over 110 degrees and it's a really dry heat. I know what you are thinking..."shut up". LOL.
 |
| Another view of Jumeriah Beach from the hotel. The two lights on the top are from the lights in the room since I was inside, not UFO's. |
|
|
After we got checked in, we strolled along the strip or walkway that is known for tourists and ex-pats. The dress is more casual and laid back here so tank tops and shorts seemed okay to wear although I played it safe and respected their culture.
 |
| Map of the shopping area - lots of Western restaurants as well as local ones. |
 |
| I should have stopped in :) |
 |
| View of the road and beach from atop the shopping center |
 |
| Each time I stopped to get water, Jason got milk. THAT'S how much this kid loves his milk. He doesn't even care if it's over 100 degrees outside. |
 |
| Childrens play area with shade...and lots of sand. Not much grass here, except at the hotels. |
 |
| The Harbour |
Once the metro opened up for the day, we headed to the mall. In Muslim countries, Friday is what we think of as Sunday. Friday and Saturday are their weekends, but Friday not many things open until 2pm. Since we got in really early (about 630am), we took a taxi to the hotel. It was nice not getting ripped off as every taxi here has to use the meter. I loved not having to bargain! When exiting the airport, there is a taxi line for families and men and then another one just for women in which they get a female taxi driver. Those taxis have pink on the top of the vehicle. I meant to grab a quick photo once we were out of the airport and on the highway but decided to wait thinking that I'd see more, but I didn't.
The Mall of the Emirates is huuuuuggggeeeee. We walked most of it because it was so hot outside and were killing time before dinner. It contains about 85 places to choose from to eat at (according to their website), too many stores to number, a ski slope, cinema, large arcade for the kiddos and much more. I was amazed at the number of gorgeous Muslim women I saw. They really pay attention to their eye makeup to really make their eyes just pop! Most always wore heals and their burqas were sometimes decorated tastefully with beads or sequins along the edge. It was very different seeing how many women in burqas I saw shopping in clothing stores I wouldn't think they would shop in! For instance... Forever 21 was packed with the ladies! Most women we saw had their face completely showing, but a good portion did have just their eyes showing. Just a few we saw had their entire face covered and followed behind a man very closely. It was interesting just to people watch because right behind them, you'd have someone not respecting their culture and a little dress showing off their boobs and booty. Lovely.
 |
| Skiing in the Mall of the Emirates |
 |
| A large area for the kids to enjoy sledding as well. |
 |
| I regret not getting a small pizza from there. Yumm Yumm. |
Besides dinner, which I didn't take any photos of, that wraps up our first day in Dubai! Tomorrow will be better, I promise! Just give me time to get caught up :)
No comments:
Post a Comment