Sunday, June 12, 2011

Burj Khalifa



Before I jump right in and tell you about the Worlds Tallest Building, the Burj Khalifa, I must first start by saying that we really didn't want to leave.  We were exhausted from walking and walking and walking even more in the heat that we decided to take it really easy today and start the morning off right - by the pool.  We had wanted to go in and explore more of the older part of the city before Dubai became a huge tourist destination, but the pool sounded much better.  After some time in the sun, we packed up, checked our bags in storage at the airport and headed to The Dubai Mall, the Worlds Largest Mall .  We were determined to eat a few meals - yes, I said a few.  Small meals, of course, but how could we choose from well over 100 food options?  First stop at the mall was lunch.  I opted for Baja Fresh to get some tacos.  Can't get those in India!  Jason opted for a burger - can't get a good one in India!  We split it so it was like the best of both worlds, really.  

We really didn't have an agenda at the mall but we found it entertaining enough to walk around for a few hours.....





We had some cash to burn so we opted to take a small tour of the aquarium.  It is known for the "Largest Single Acrylic Panel in the World" and even has a nice plaque from the Guinness Book of World Records to prove it.  I have to admit, it was pretty large.  

And... this has to be a record.  The store was HUGE!  Awesome.  Jason wouldn't let me go in.  It was probably a good thing.
Feeding sharks right above us. 
Look at those teeth...eek!
"It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.  I gotta send you back to the South Pole."
I know it's a bit blurry, but its the tunnel to the aquarium.  Pretty cool and big.
This mall had an ice skating rink instead of a ski slope.
...and a huge water fountain wall type thing that went at least 4 or 5 floors.
  ...and the photos you've all been sitting on the edge of your seat for.  (only kidding, I know)  

The Burj Khalifa is currently the tallest structure ever built at a whopping 2,717 feet high - 160 floors.  It is home to apartments, at least one hotel and numerous office buildings.  Tickets to go up were booked for the day and we really didn't feel like it so we opted to watch the water show in the early evening instead.  It's like going up in the Sears (now Willis) Tower in Chicago.  It costs over $30 just to stand in line for an hour, finally make it to the top and go ...."ohhhh, ahhhh".  If you are ever in Chicago - go to the Hancock building, have brunch with your family or get drinks in the lounge at the top and you get the same view and food or drinks for your money.  Instead of shelling out the mooolah for an "ooh, ahhh" - we enjoyed it from the ground.  Call us cheap, I don't care.  

Water Show every evening outside the mall in front of the Burj Khalifa





Poor Flat Stanley has been through a lot.  He's looking pretty rough, but still truckin with us everywhere!

No comments: