Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I've Seen It All Before

Fort Kochi Firestation

I suppose I may as well move over to Fort Kochi and call it home.  I'm there 3 days a week for the school and then occasionally we go over for good seafood or to walk a new person around.  On Tuesday, I took Eric over and showed him the school I'm helping at then took him on a tour of the grand city.  We did all the major things like I've blogged about numerous times before however, we did manage to stumble across a firestation.     


...and the ginger factory where they had ginger roots out drying.  We got to try ginger tea and ginger candy.  Neither were that good though.  


drying ginger roots

Where Vasco de Gama was buried for 14 years

















We visited St. Francis church as well.  I've blogged about it before, but it was built in 1503 by the Portuguese as a Catholic church and is the oldest European church in India.  Vasco de Gama, a Portuguese explorer, was buried here for 14 years before his remains were moved to Lisbon.  He discovered the sea route between Europe and India and along with two other explorers, built a fort and within that a church.  The neighborhood is now known as Fort Kochi. 


Chinese Fishing Nets















I also took Eric over to see the Chinese fishing nets.  Usually, the fisherman let you walk out on it and they talk to you about what they do every day for a living...then expect a tip.  Eric wasn't interested in that part of it, but we did manage to see a bunch of stalls selling (not so) fresh fish.  You know one way to tell how fresh it is?  The eyes.  If they are all foggy, they've been sitting there for awhile. 



One of my goals for the new year is to take a picture a day.  Hence the name "Day by Day"... I am trying to live up to that.  Even if I don't do anything, I will try to take some random picture just for you. (which also might mean less typing for you to read!) Since I'm trying to do that, you might have to scroll back a bit because I've already skipped a day, but plan to add it soon!  Let's see how long this will last. 

No comments: