Saturday, February 26, 2011

All Aboard



Friday afternoon we headed south to Varkala to spend the weekend on the beach with friends.  The only other time we rode an Indian train was from Delhi to Agra and that's only about an hour ride so we knew it would be an adventure spending 4-6 hours on one.  I say 4 to 6 hours because it's only supposed to take 4...but sometimes takes up to 6.  What else can you expect for India?  We got to the station and wanted to double check what platform ours was leaving from.  Justine crammed her way to the front of this "line".  I tried to get a picture, but the station was really busy and I kept having to move to not be in the way.  All I got was this:

Notice the "Please Stand in Q" sign.  The only reason I took this picture. Nice line, guys.


The sleeper class we booked.  No AC - but a great way to see the country.


I just thought that guy was cute - he stood patiently waiting for the train for about 20 mins.


We booked non-ac sleeper seats and had the side seats (top and bottom).


It's a great way to see the country side of India.
The whole experience was interesting and we realized it really is the best way to travel through India.  No riding in a car for hours .... dodging traffic, at least I hope not... and it's cheaper (only about $11 round trip)!  Jason and I were playing cards for part of the trip and had an audience.  The guy smelled of urine and alcohol and we quickly stopped playing as he was trying to motion for us to let him play but we shooed him away.  Other than a few random guys staring occasionally the trip was nice.  The man sitting across from us made sure we knew when our stop was coming up and insisted on us going towards the door when the train was moving full speed ahead.  They like to get up early and ready to exit...planes and also trains now too.  Always the first ones up!

We arrived to Varkala late and had to be ushered down the back roads to the hotel by the owner (with one flashlight) since no cars were allowed.  We got to our rooms and walked down the beach (about 20 mins) to the North Cliff to get some food and drinks.  Since it was dark, I didn't get many pictures... but I did get one that is pretty awesome.

Hey lady... 1980 called.  They want their scrunchy (and hair) back.



2 comments:

Angela said...

GASP... I love a good scrunchy! :P

I love trains... I make it a point to travel by them when ever possible!

Caitlin said...

I like her hair! Mostly because it looks like mine!

Also, we had a urine/alcohol stinky guy do that exact thing to us in the train station in Tianjin! He was like grabbing for the cards and stuff! Ugh, get your own cards, Asians.