Monday, February 28, 2011

Until next time, Varkala.

We can't lay on the beach everyday so it was back to reality on Sunday after having most of the day to enjoy Varkala.  We still got some shopping and beach time in before heading to the train station. 

Shopping on North Cliff
Walking back up the cliff to leave.


By this time, we were all in agreement to upgrade to an AC cabin on the way home.  We were pretty much sweating for 48 hours straight - except at night - and were ready to cool down.  For $6 extra, we upgraded to an AC sleeper car.  It's incredibly cheap to travel by train through India and I highly recommend it! Although... I do not recommend using the toilet.  While we were trying to upgrade our tickets, the door to the squatpot was slightly opened.  With my flip flop on, I pushed it open a bit more to get a quick photo.  The stench was overwhelming and I was not about to find the Western toilet to get a photo of that.  What's sad is that I've seen worse toilets....but still, hold your bladder if you plan on traveling by train. 

You squat and it goes right down to the tracks!

Denise in her sleeper seat/bed - Justine up top reading.
My "bed"
The trip wasn't too bad in the AC sleeper car although there wasn't much air flow if you closed the curtains.  No one really stopped and stared like they did in the just the normal sleeper class so it wasn't a big deal to leave the curtains open.  If we are here for awhile longer - which that is looking like a huge possibility - we will probably come back.  I really enjoyed being able to wear a tank top and not having to worry about being over exposed! And.. a swimsuit!!  People were changing on the beach!  GASP!  That is not done in India!  I'm not certain that Varkala is really India anyway.  Until next time, Varkala.  Farewell.

No comments: