Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Can we do it?

Kat working tirelessly cutting paper for bags
Someone from the Le Meridien must have stopped by Raksha last Friday and ordered 1500 brown paper bags by April 7th!  That's a HUGE order for them so the ladies in charged of the vocational unit are excited yet stressed to max.  Neenas class was canceled Tuesday and Wednesday but Kat and I still went in to help them with this order.  These bags are made from brown paper rather than the usual newspaper.  On an average week, they make 300 bags.  In order to fulfill this order, they would have to make 150 a day!  I guess these guys and gals will get a taste of the real working world.  Some days are slow and others are crazy busy.  Personally, we don't think it'll happen in time.  We all know how relaxed they are about getting things done I mean, we have been here 7 months.  Kat and I had some good ideas for an assembly line type - we would cut (kids can't use the knife), another would fold the top, some glue and fold the bags, another punch the holes and to finish it up - someone tying the handles.  Basically, we were just trying to get everyone involved.  There is always a kid or two just sitting down not doing much. 

While Kat and I were cutting, three students came over to help.  It doesn't take 5 people, so I went to fold.  Two more students came and sat down in front of me.  I asked if they could measure and cut the rope for the handles.  "No, I'm resting" was the answer I got.  I mean.... I guess he was tired.  He did play cricket (for 30 mins after lunch) about 2 hours prior to that!  These guys and their breaks!  We tried to make suggestions, but they don't seem interested so we are just helping...if they get them done, they get them done!  If not...well....  no order for the Le Meridien. I'll keep you updated on the progress.  

The bags the hotel ordered. 

No comments: