Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Mehndi


My Indian experience is almost complete!  I've always wanted to get true Mehndi done, but just never got around to it.  When we first got here, I had a stamp done with ink but of course that just washed off in a few days.  Safa's mother learned the art in a beauty parlor and was decorating the other mother's hands last week.  Today, she did mine!  I'm not sure who was more excited - me or her!







All Done!
You can read more about Mehndi by clicking here.  There's a lot of info that I just don't feel like typing out but it's a temporary form of skin decoration so for those wondering, it will come off!  They are typically called henna tattoos although it's nothing like the henna I got in Panama City Beach, FL when I was in high school! haha.  Henna is usually used for weddings and festivals and women generally get it done on their hands and feet.  After letting it dry for about 45 minutes, I brushed the dried henna off.

It was a really cool experience to get it done and especially done by one of the students mothers.  Her daughter is one of my favorites :)  I have a few though.. haha. I asked if she could do it again before I left so hopefully it works out and some of you will see it when we get home.  Don't ask when that will be; we have no idea. 

Thanks to Denise for taking all of these pictures!!  They are wonderful :)

No comments: