Saturday, March 19, 2011

Sensory Integration

Sharon with the older students
Despite being injured, I hobbled around the school on Friday getting videos of the different classrooms for their website.  Sharon was working with the classroom of teenagers on sensory integration.  She is wonderful with the kids and has so many neat ideas that I hope Raksha still uses even after Sharon leaves.  She is a special needs teacher in the UK and does a lot of training and volunteering.  The four or five weeks she has been at Raksha with us have been great!  Kat and I will suggest small things here and there, but since we had no prior experience with special needs kids, it never gets done. 

Sharon did a sensory integration lesson with them and they seemed to enjoy it - some more than others!  There is a song that goes along with it, but it helps them with all 5 senses.  While I was in there, they tasted something sweet, listen to instruments and music and saw their reflection in a mirror.  It was very interesting to watch!  Hopefully they keep up with it and continue the lesson after Sharon leaves.  It's always good for these kids to get out of their chairs and have time to interact!

I have some videos, but a few of them won't load (I have no idea why) so you get another picture of one of the cute little girls in another classroom.  We've never worked with her, but she's always smiling at us and loves the camera!  She would squeal and giggle when I took her picture and then showed it to her!  :)





No comments: