Friday, March 25, 2011

Spring Program/Goodbye Take 2

Joufer in his dress clothes


Raksha celebrated their end of the Spring semester by throwing a big party/talent show/dress up program.  I'm rather confused by the their "end of term day" since we still go tomorrow... but whatever.  We're not quite sure what they were doing at the program, but it was so much fun to watch!  All of the young Early Intervention kids got to dress up as someone and be judged by a few of the committee members.  It was really crowded in the school hall (which is also classrooms during normal days) so I just meandered around and sat down wherever people were.  Here are a few pictures of the day:
 







It was more crowded than this...but you can just imagine how hot it was in there.
Justine playing with Fabian one last time :(
Monica - we think she was dressed as the Honorary Secretary.  She always has her hair pulled back into a bun! So cute!
Annmol was excited to play with the drum... maybe so much so she peed her pants!
Safa and I in our sarees.
Nadanna and Akhila getting dressed - Akhila's sari was adorable!  I mean, look at that sari blouse!
Kat looks like a Sri Lankan princess and I look really white.  lol
Saying goodbye to Justine (again)
Neena teacher is so good to us! 
One of the vocational students.  I can't remember his name, but I swear he has a crush on Kat :)
At the last minute, Kat and I decided to get sarees made.  At the Christmas program, Justine and Denise wore sarees and all the mothers were asking where mine was so we had to get them this time around.  We went to a shop on Tuesday for Kat to pick hers out and then of course I waited until the very last minute and went Wednesday morning to get mine.  Thankfully, the ladies tailoring shop didn't mind rushing it for us!  We had no idea how to wrap the sari but, lucky for us, we're surrounded by ladies at the school that do!  We asked Neena to help us and she dropped what she was doing.  I kept thanking her and telling her how fun this was but we just didn't know how to dress ourselves properly!  ;)  She said it was her "duty" to help since we help her every day in the classroom.  It was like she was honored that we asked her.

Everyone seemed to have a good time and complimented us on our traditional wear.  They also thought it was cute that I was hobbling around on my crutches in a saree.  Talk about learning how to walk in one - try learning it with a bum foot and crutches!

Once lunch time came, I even ate with my hand.  I've started getting lunch at the school now since Kat kept talking about how delicious and homemade it was and I have to admit.....  I've enjoyed it so far.  This was only the second time I ate with my hand though - right hand only.  The left hand is "dirty".  And.. the plate was overflowing when I got it so I'm not (quite) that messy!  I feel more cultured now - spent the day in a sari and ate lunch the traditional way.       

Lunch time! 

No comments: