Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Jackfruit

After work today, Jason and the crew got invited to one of the project managers houses for some jackfruit.  The largest tree grown fruit in the world, jackfruit is mainly found in Southern and Southeast Asia but can also be found in Brazil and East Africa.  One fruit can reach up to 80 pounds (but usually just to 18kg) and 36 inches long.  Its tree also supports the vine for the black pepper plant.  
Photo taken from Google Images
Photo also taken from Google Images
Since they went straight from work, Jason didn't have the camera and I suppose since he's a man, he wouldn't have taken a picture even if he did.  So, I stole these from Google Images but am giving them credit :)  On the inside are a bunch of smaller fruits.  You can see in the photo above.  The manager has a jackfruit tree in their backyard and it was the last one of the season.  Jason said it was pretty good so I'll have to try some next time they have it at the hotel.  I just hope one never falls on my head!

2 comments:

Angela said...

I saw those at the store! But since we have to carry what we buy I skipped it they are huge and horn-y. :D How did it taste?

Mary said...

Jason said it was! I'll let you know when I try it!