The mothers were told not to bring a lunch for the kids because we were going to have a party and they probably wouldn't be hungry after being fed chocolate and other sweets. Who would want to eat rice and curry after that anyway? We had the mothers come in and sit with the kids and we passed around all sorts of sweets. I offered to bring in a snack....fruit pieces or something easy for the kids to chew...but I was quickly told to NOT bring anything. I think at times one of the teachers (not Neena) has a hard time accepting donations. Food here is really cheap so I didn't mind bringing in something small for the kids that wasn't loaded with sugar...but instead they got a bunch of hard, dried snacks and some of them were coated with sugar. What matters is...that the kids had fun :)
| For the summer session class, we moved down to the main school hall for more room for the kids to play - Easter eggs hanging in the background too! |
| Kat passing out chocolate pieces to the kids - Annmol and Akshay |
| The snacks for the kids - not what you'd typically see at a school party in the US! |
One thing I forgot to mention in my blog on Monday was that Rajesh and Andrea (the General Manager of the hotel and his wife) came to visit Raksha! My goal was to get the hotel acquainted with the school and possibly provide them with additional support. They had already ordered the bags, but I wanted them to see the entire school and the kids. Most of the students are out this month, but at least they stopped by and met everyone so they can start to communicate and get some things set in place. The hotel is now going to start saving their newspapers (awesome!!) which is MUCH better than throwing them away like a lot of people do. Raksha will come pick them up 2x a month. Some of Francis' paintings will soon be hanging up in the hotel as well. One of the childrens homes the hotel supports is an international organization but now they will also be helping a local school which just makes it extra special. Most of the staff know that I've been going to the school so I think it's great that now they can help out too! It will be nice knowing that when we leave, the Le Meridien will still be in contact with the school. I have a few things in mind for the kids in the next week or so but I'll save it for when I blog next week. I wouldn't want to ruin the surprise, now would I?
No comments:
Post a Comment