Saturday, April 9, 2011

Three Years Traveling


Three years ago today....we arrived in Porvoo, Finland for Jasons very first training job.  I remember it like it was yesterday.  Okay, maybe not yesterday, but it doesn't seem like 3 years ago.  If you remember then the story goes something like this:  I was crying every day (all day).  I was homesick (very bad).  I had no books to read (until I found a bookstore).  It was still cold and snowing there (makes it no fun to walk around).  I didn't know what Skype was (yet).  I was already considering only traveling part time with Jason.  We moved into the capital, Helsinki because I was miserable.  I'm not even joking...  It was a bad few weeks!  I really didn't think I had it in me to travel with Jason!  And here we are today....  in India! 


The refinery had a planned shut down this week, so lucky for the crew, everyone got a few days off.  Jason took today off so that we could take a trip.  Originally, we had plans to go to Goa - the popular tourist beach in Southern India, but train tickets fell through so we opted for somewhere closer but also somewhere we hadn't been yet - Kovalam.  This beach is located an hour south of Varkala (the last two beach trips have been there) just outside the city of Trivandrum.  Jason and I were joined by John C and Jaroslav. 



We got checked into the hotel and went for a walk around to see the area.  Since it's pre-monsoon season here, it was quiet.  Not many tourists book trips around this time because of the threat of rain and bad weather.  A few shops and restauarnts were closed but most were open and eager to sell you anything, really.  It made bargaining easy since they just want to make money right now!
Our hotel - outside was nicer than the rooms..



We stopped for a drink along the way and then headed to the beach to relax before having an awesome seafood dinner!  Lighthouse beach is one of the most popular beaches in India and I could have taken photos of it all day.  I'm not joking... I mean.. really?  A big, red and white lighthouse with a beautiful beach makes for some great photo ops!  Here's a look at our day:





Jaroslav, Jason and John C
Lighthouse Beach - I could have taken tons of these photos!




"Sunglassssses"  This guy has been working the beach area for 31 years.  Just ask John..he bought a pair of sunglasses from him 10 years ago! He wouldn't leave us alone all weekend.

Picking out our seafood dinner

We didn't eat him..but we did have some of his friends.

No comments: