Funny thing about this monsoon season ..... it's not widespread rain. Today it stormed right as we got to school but never rained at the refinery. Kat and I got to sit outside (on a porch..we didn't get wet) and watch the rain. They lose power a lot during storms and what we needed to work on required electricity so we were excused from work...along with everyone else, I think... until the storm passed. Afterwards, we got put to work on making and organizing flash cards which are all in the local language, Malayalam. It's like learning a new alphabet all over again. Seriously. I don't know how people learn this..
| Kat trying to sort the months and days |
| These go with a song we sing every morning. |
| We learn animals every day too... I actually know a few. |
| One of my favorites - the auto |
| a close up of the months and days of the week |
Malayalam is the official language of Kerala and one of 22 languages of India and is said to be spoken by 35.9 million people. Before visiting India, I thought that the majority of people spoke Hindi but I was mistaken as most states within the country have their own language. Most people still speak at least some Hindi as well as some English. The US really is behind on being bilingual!
No comments:
Post a Comment