Sunday, May 29, 2011

Lightning Shot?


I think so....



I forgot to take a photo today because monsoon season set in for good.  It poured on and off all day today and Jason and I mainly sat outside on the patio (covered) and read our books.  It's nice to get out of the room and have somewhere to hang out without getting drenched.  We enjoyed watching the rain come in too.  One minute, it was sunny...the next a wall of rain came pounding down.  Since I didn't take a picture today, I scanned through some old ones to find this storm picture.  I am determined to get a lightning shot, but of course it can be dangerous and we have a nice camera, but not a super nice one so it would be a bit difficult to get one.  The photo above (taken Feb 22) is completely unedited - it was really dark when the storm was coming in.  It hadn't started raining yet (actually I don't think it ever did) and I was just sitting on our balcony with the camera.  I put it on Auto and a fast shutter speed while taking multiple shots at a time.  I quickly had scanned through them and didn't think I got one - but after I put them on the computer, ONE out of the 552 that I took of the storm, I think I got a lightning shot!   There is such a thing as ground to cloud lighting, at least according to Wikipedia :


"Ground-to-cloud lightning

Ground-to-cloud lightning is a lightning discharge between the ground and a cumulonimbus cloud initiated by an upward-moving leader stroke. This type of lightning forms when negatively charged ions called the stepped leader rise up from the ground and meet the positively charged ions in a cumulonimbus cloud. Then the strike goes back to the ground as the return stroke. This is also called positive lightning "






No comments: