On the way back from school today, I saw this young girl selling fruits and vegetables from a stand. She was very nice and allowed me to take her photo... but I've never a young child say no either. In India, and many other less fortunate countries, it is very common to put the children to work at a young age. She probably had to make a certain amount of money before returning home. She might not even be educated yet - or she is out of school for a few more weeks like many schools in the area. Most foreigners are very hesitant to buy fruit or vegetables from stands on the road, but generally they are much more fresh than what you would find in a grocery. Since we can't cook, we don't buy a lot from the store anyway, but I have bought grapes, oranges and strawberries from local stands. They were more fresh than the ones I saw in the stores...and I'm still alive. Must not have hurt me too much. Advice to anyone traveling overseas... don't be afraid to buy from the stands off the street. Just wash it with bottled water (if the hotels water isn't filtered) and enjoy! You'll get overcharge... we call it the "white tax"... but it'll still be cheaper than the grocery store!
Follow Jason and I as settle down after traveling the world for 3.5 years!
Monday, May 23, 2011
Vegetable and Fruit Stand
On the way back from school today, I saw this young girl selling fruits and vegetables from a stand. She was very nice and allowed me to take her photo... but I've never a young child say no either. In India, and many other less fortunate countries, it is very common to put the children to work at a young age. She probably had to make a certain amount of money before returning home. She might not even be educated yet - or she is out of school for a few more weeks like many schools in the area. Most foreigners are very hesitant to buy fruit or vegetables from stands on the road, but generally they are much more fresh than what you would find in a grocery. Since we can't cook, we don't buy a lot from the store anyway, but I have bought grapes, oranges and strawberries from local stands. They were more fresh than the ones I saw in the stores...and I'm still alive. Must not have hurt me too much. Advice to anyone traveling overseas... don't be afraid to buy from the stands off the street. Just wash it with bottled water (if the hotels water isn't filtered) and enjoy! You'll get overcharge... we call it the "white tax"... but it'll still be cheaper than the grocery store!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment